The history of our school dates back for more than half a century. It was originally found in Malta’s capital city Valletta and was then formally known as a Grammar school. The school as we know it today opened its doors for the first time on 1st October 1959, when a group of 811 students attended for the first time. In the 70s the school dropped its former ‘Grammar School’ title, transforming into a Secondary School until 1981, when it finally became a Junior Lyceum.
The school premises were quite smaller back in 1959, when only three blocks existed: the main block, the practical block and the science block. Later, another two blocks were built and on the 26th of June 1967 the Greek theatre which greatly enhanced the ethos of the school, was inaugurated.
The first head of school was Ms. Concetta Borg Calleja. Since between October and April students had to attend school on a whole day basis, it was possible to hold a great variety of activities during the midday break.
Thursday the 9th of December 1965 was a memorable day for the school. On the eve of her retirement, Ms Concetta Sammut, head of school, donated a huge statue of Maria Regina to the school. The statue is the work of the sculptor Ganni Bonnici. A ceremony was held to commemorate the occasion and Dr Antonio Paris, Minister of Education, and the Chavalier J.P. Vassallo, Director, were among the distinguished guests. The statue was blessed by his Grace Bishop Emmanuel Galea.
During the 70s, when secondary education was introduced for all, Maria Regina became an Area Secondary School. When the Junior Lyceum was introduced in September 1981, Maria Regina became the first Junior Lyceum for girls, with Ms Ninette Borg Grech as headmistress.
In 1984, Ms Mary Vella was appointed headmistress. Other Junior Lyceums continued to be opened throughout Malta. In 1995, Ms Carmen Bonello became head until 2003. After that, Ms Maria Debono was appointed headmistress until 2008. That year the school celebrated its 50th anniversary. A thanksgiving mass was celebrated and a reunion was held for all students who attended the school throughout the years since its foundation.
In 2008, the school began to form part of St. Ignatius College. The Junior Lyceum students were phased out and it later formed part of San Ġorġ Preca College. In 2008, Mr Victor Agius became headmaster until 2013. Mr Emile Vassallo replaced him that year until 2016.
Today it has become a middle and mixed school with a population of over three hundred students and a teaching staff of over ninety teachers and LSEs. The school is one of twelve schools, both primary, secondary and resource centre forming Kulleġġ San Ġorġ Preca. It acts as a receiving school for boys and girls hailing from Valletta, Floriana, Marsa, Pieta’, Hamrun and Paola. Students in forms 4 and 5 have been phased out in the last two scholastic years. Ms Annabelle Borg Gaffarena was appointed in 2016 and is the present headmistress.
Ms N. Bonett